Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Child has $800 unearned income of bank interest

My child has bank interest of $800 (unearned) in 2022 and I included those interest as part of my overall interest as my income.

Q1: Since this is an unearned income for my child and it is less than $1250. Therefore, my child is not required to file a tax return. Is this right?

Q2: I want to amend my 2022 tax return to remove my child's interest portion from my own.  By doing so, we are not reporting my child's unearn income at all.  Is this correct to do so?

Thanks in advance!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

Q1: Since this is an unearned income for my child and it is less than $1250. Therefore, my child is not required to file a tax return. Is this right?

A1. Yes.

Q2: I want to amend my 2022 tax return to remove my child's interest portion from my own.  By doing so, we are not reporting my child's unearned income at all.  Is this correct to do so?

A2. Yes.  The amount is under the filing threshold.* 

It may not be necessary for you to file an amended return, if you entered it in correctly in TurboTax (TT).  TurboTax should have calculated $0 tax on the child's interest income.  Look to see if TT prepared form 8814 (Parents’ Election To Report Child’s Interest and Dividends).  Box 1 on line 16 of form 1040 would be checked. 

*If your dependent child is under age 19 (or under 24 if a full time student), he or she must file a tax return for 2023 if he had any of the following:

1.          Total income (wages, salaries, taxable scholarship etc.) of more than $13,850 (2023).
  2.          Unearned income (interest, dividends, capital gains, unemployment, taxable portion of 529 distribution) of more than $1250 (2023).  
  3.          Unearned income over $400 and gross income of more than $1250 (2023)
  4.          Household employee income (e.g. baby sitting, lawn mowing) over $2600 ($13,850 if under age 18)
  5.          Other self employment income over $432, including money on a form 1099-NEC

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

A1. Yes.

Q2: I want to amend my 2022 tax return to remove my child's interest portion from my own.  By doing so, we are not reporting my child's unearned income at all.  Is this correct to do so?

A2. Yes.  The amount is under the filing threshold.* 

It may not be necessary for you to file an amended return, if you entered it in correctly in TurboTax (TT).  TurboTax should have calculated $0 tax on the child's interest income.  Look to see if TT prepared form 8814 (Parents’ Election To Report Child’s Interest and Dividends).  Box 1 on line 16 of form 1040 would be checked. 

*If your dependent child is under age 19 (or under 24 if a full time student), he or she must file a tax return for 2023 if he had any of the following:

1.          Total income (wages, salaries, taxable scholarship etc.) of more than $13,850 (2023).
  2.          Unearned income (interest, dividends, capital gains, unemployment, taxable portion of 529 distribution) of more than $1250 (2023).  
  3.          Unearned income over $400 and gross income of more than $1250 (2023)
  4.          Household employee income (e.g. baby sitting, lawn mowing) over $2600 ($13,850 if under age 18)
  5.          Other self employment income over $432, including money on a form 1099-NEC

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies