Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

takahass

Changing tax paid on amendment following CP2000 letter

Hello, my situation is as follows:

- I made a mistake in my 2021 return on the capital gains portion of my return, and received a letter from IRS (CP2000). 

- The resolution was that I owe more tax than I paid in 2022 in the capital gains portion, so the IRS has billed me with this correction applied. However, there was a related mistake in the regular income portion of the return, so I would like to file an amendment to reduce my overall tax burden.

- The problem is that when I try to amend my 2021 return on TurboTax, it only knows what I originally paid the IRS, not what I paid as part of the CP2000 letter response. Because my amended return results in a higher tax than the original return but a lower tax than the CP2000 letter response, the amended TurboTax return shows I owe the IRS money, instead of me getting a refund.

Question: Is there a way to reflect the additional tax I paid to the IRS through the CP2000 letter process into TurboTax? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Changing tax paid on amendment following CP2000 letter

See Solved: Paid taxes and then amended return (intuit.com)

However, did the letter request that you file an amended return or just remit the balance due?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies