Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Changed from Head of Household to Single filer, if I have a qualifying dependent? It says incomplete or blank on my form 3532, but it's not. Curious!

IRS sent me a letter saying I was changed from Head of Household to Single filer due to incomplete or blank state form 3532, but everything is filled in. I've always been HOH. My adult child is permanently disabled. Everything is filled in, the only thing is $0 income listed but my child doesn't make income. 

I'm thinking it's an error. Will call TurboTax reps, was just curious if anyone ran into this before? They increased my refund but I don't want to owe them when they realize this is an error. Thanks! 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

Changed from Head of Household to Single filer, if I have a qualifying dependent? It says incomplete or blank on my form 3532, but it's not. Curious!

Since Form 3532 is a California form, as opposed to a federal form, it's likely that you received your letter from the California Franchise Tax Board.

There should be a phone number on the letter.  If it's not clear what you need to do to remedy your situation from the letter, call the state number for advice.

Please compare Form 3532, linked above, to the instructions for the form, also linked.  This might give you some idea of why the state has changed your filing status.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies