turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Celiac Disease

I was diagnosed with celiac disease and thus all my food is more expensive. Is there a tax break for this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
KarenL4
Employee Tax Expert

Celiac Disease

Hi, 

Sorry to hear you suffer from Celiac Disease.  I did find this information from the Celiac Foundation about federal tax deductions.  Note, that you are advised by them to follow the steps below, and I stress that you want a physician's diagnosis and prescription and need to only claim the incremental cost of the GF diet (and keep good records).

Step-by-Step Guide

Step One: Get an official, written diagnosis from your physician and a prescription for a gluten-free diet. You will need to submit this form with your taxes, so make sure to keep a copy for your records.

Step Two: Save your receipts for your gluten-free groceries.

Step Three: Based on the list above, figure out what you can deduct and then start your calculations! You will need to calculate the difference between gluten-free products and non-gluten-free products from the grocery store.

Please cheer below if this helps and good luck with the management. I know it can be tough.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Celiac Disease

the excess spent is a medical expense. your total medical expenses are first reduced by 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. then your total itemized deductions must exceed your standard deduction to get any tax benefit. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies