Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cash inheritance from deceased parent

Question about cash funds remaining after my mother-in-law's passing in 2022.  After her home was sold in 2021, the cash proceeds from the sale were deposited in a trust checking account in my in-laws names.   We reported the sale on my mother-in-law's taxes for 2021.   My wife is the executor and had power of attorney.  We used the funds in the trust account to pay for her assisted living care for about 18 months until her passing.  There is about $30,000 left in the account which will be distributed evenly to 3 surviving sisters (my wife included).   My mother-in-law lived in California.  The sisters live in three different states - CA, WA and MT.

I don't believe the cash from the sale of the home were specifically designated as a gift or inheritance in her will.  From what I have found thus far, it appears that there is no tax impact on the remaining funds and the sisters do not need to report the remaining cash as income, correct?

Does the remaining cash in the deceased's account automatically considered an inheritance or does it have to be explicitly stated in a will?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
JulieS
Expert Alumni

No, the remaining cash that is distributed from the trust isn't taxable income on your federal return, or in California, Washington, or Montana. It's well below the current $12.92 million estate tax exemption for 2023.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you!

So there isn't anything that needs to specified in the will that defines this as an inheritance for tax purposes?

My wife has power of attorney on the account and distributes the funds.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

No, the will is not required to specify that any part of the inheritance is taxable income. 

@rrhascall 

Sorry, I don't think I worded my previous reply correctly. 

I was wondering if the leftover funds in the account have to specified as an inheritance in a will or is automatically assumed to be an inheritance since my we were managing the deceased accounts?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

The distribution of assets should have been specified in a will but isn't mandatory.  If not specified, one would assume that the remaining assets are to be divided equally amongst the beneficiaries to be fair to all.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies