Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cash games question

I was wondering what the threshold would be if one got funds from those advertised cash games you play so long and then get some money. Would it count as gambling and winnings or self employment tax? Or something else? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Cash games question

Q. Would it count as gambling and winnings or self employment tax? Or something else? 

A. Gambling winnings. 

While professional gamblers may file a Schedule C as self-employed individuals, what you described does not make you a professional gambler (“pursued full time, in good faith, and with regularity, to the production of income for a livelihood, and is not a mere hobby” ) Reference: https://silvertaxgroup.com/professional-gambler-tax/#:~:text=Gambling%20must%20be%20%E2%80%9Cpursued....

Cash games question

I struggle with more complex sentence structure. But would it be the normal threshold for filing taxes? Like if I got 500 or more bucks from one of these cash games would it be the regular threshold since it's not a job for me ans don't need to file for self employment? 

Hal_Al
Level 15

Cash games question

Q. Would it be the normal threshold for filing taxes? Like if I got 500 or more bucks from one of these cash games would it be the regular threshold since it's not a job for me and don't need to file for self employment? 

A. Yes, the "normal threshold" applies.  If your total income, including gambling winnings,  is less than $13,850 (2023), you do not need to file a tax return.  There are two exceptions: 1. you have more than $400 of self employment income and 2. You can be claimed as a dependent, by somebody else, and you have more than $1250 of unearned income.  Cash games winnings is "unearned" income. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies