Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Muldoon0054
Returning Member

Carryforward of Capital Loss -- Federal vs Michigan

In 2022, I sold my California residence (for a gain), moved to Michigan, and declared residency there.  To reduce my federal liability somewhat, I recognized some capital losses.  I allocated each capital gain/loss by date, with California allocated those transactions up to the sale date of the house, and Michigan thereafter.  Since most of these security sales were made after the sale of the house, the cap losses were thus allocated to Michigan rather than California.  In my 2022 Michigan return prepared on TT, Form MI-1040D showed a capital loss carryforward from 2022 to 2023.   I had no federal capital loss carryforward from 2022 to 2023.  

TT did not generate a  MI-1040D for 2023.  I also had a net capital loss of more than $3000 for 2023, and the carryforward made no difference on my 2023 taxes (federal or Michigan).  But where can I find what TT will be using as my Michigan carryforward from 2023 to 2024?  I want to verify that the carryforward from 2022 to 2023 and then on to 2024 has in fact occurred. 

Thanks for any guidance.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies