Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Car used for personal, then converted to business, then sold

Hi bough a used car in 2019 for $15.7K. In June 2021 I converted to Business and deduct 3000 miles as a Standard Mile deduction for taxes in 2021. Then in taxes 2022 I deducted 7500 miles as Standard miles. I stop using it in 2023 (no miles) and sold it in January 2023 for $16K. 

In Publication 463, it says that I have to depreciate the 10.5K miles x 0.26 = $2730. When I fill my taxes, it never asked me about the depreciation and it was displayed as "Sale of Business Property" and have to pay the taxes of the $16,300 (the sale of 16K plus the earning of $300 of the original purchase price and the sale price... yes, amazing that I had a profit there). Is that correct that I need to pay the taxes for the complete $16.3K even if I bought the car with my money after taxes in 2019? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Car used for personal, then converted to business, then sold

If you enter the vehicle information in the expense portion in your return, there is a check mark that indicates you stopped using it for business, then there is a box that you would list the date you stop using it for business.

1. Now you will navigate through the screens answering questions and eventually there will be a place where you would put sale price. then you would enter a sale cost which is generally the Fair Market Value of the car when you sold it. 
  2. Leave the the screen value blank when it asks for gain or loss basis.
  3. Next it asks for you to calculate depreciation equivalent. Here you would put in $2730. There won't be any additional questions regarding mileage.
  4. Since you have taken mileage in the past, it has depreciation built into the amount. since you claimed depreciation in the past, the equivalent must be added back to the sales price of the car. This is called depreciation recapture.
  5. Continue until done.

There could be a gain. Here is how this works. The cash you got for the car is $16,300. Adding the depreciation equivalent will result in a sum of $19,030.  Now you will subtract $15,700. Your taxable gain based on this is $3330. This amount may vary depending on if you claimed any mileage in 2023.  

Hopefully, this will give you an idea how a taxable gain is determined for a sale of a  business vehicle. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies