Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Capital Loss carryover from 2020 Schedule D used for AMT

TurboTax Support,

I am doing the capital loss carryover numbers from 2020 and the there is a screen for "information of 2020 schedule D use for AMT"  coming up with "Adjusted shortterm gain or loss ( Schedule D for AMT, line 7 )" with a number I can't find anywhere in my year 2020 tax return. I went through my filing papers from last year and I can't find the "Schedule D for AMT" form and don't know where that number came from. After continued to next, it seems TurboTax doubled my 2021 capital gain and took ( minus ) it from my previous yeas carryover, so it lower my carryover loss a lot for next year. Wondering where this Schedule D for AMT, line #7 comes from and what it is. Why Turbotax doubled my 2021 capital gain then minus it from my previous year's carryover amount ?

For example:

Carryover from 2020 :    -20,000

Total Gain/Loss before carryover :    +150

Capital loss used in 2021:                  +300

Loss carryover for 2022 :                    -20,000 -(+300) = -17,000  which should be -20,000 - (+150 ) = -18,500.

Where does that "Capital loss used in 2021: +300" number come from, and use the actual loss number : +150 ?

Please advise. Thank you for your help.

John 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

there is a capital loss carryforward worksheet that will show the computation though you may have to pay your fees to see it

or look at the instructions for schedule D on page D-11. instead of using 2020 return amounts use those from your 2021 return.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040sd.pdf 

Got it, thanks a lot for your reply, Mike,

Another quick question, I can't go back to re-choose the question for "received 3rd stimulus payment", once I chose "Yes", I can't go back to re-choose "No" any more. ( which I made mistake to choose Yes early misunderstanding the payment ). This is in Federal Review section.

How can I go back to re-select the Yes/No answer to the stimulus payment question ?

Thanks again,

JohnZ

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Select federal review at the top of the page and that should get you back to the stimulus question.

@JohnZ1111

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you very much, Dave.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies