Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jnevi9nr
Returning Member

Capital Gains

If I bought a home and sold it a year and a half later, how much capital gains would i owe to the fed and the State of VA on the profit? What if I did some capital improvements to it (fence, deck, etc).  Is it a flat rate or is it prorated? Do I subtract out the capital improvements from the profit?  Are there other reductions - closing costs?  Please provide an example of the math for me if possible.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Capital Gains

It depends. IRS and Virginia allow you to exclude up to $250,000 ($500,000 if married filing jointly) of profit from the sale of a home if you owned and lived in it for two of five years.

You may qualify for a partial exclusion for 18 months if you meet certain requirements, such as a move for work- or health-related reasons.

Does Your Home Qualify for a Partial Exclusion of Gain?

Profit from a home sale is: Sales price - Sales expenses less (Cost + Improvements) = gain/loss. Any home sale exclusion would be further subtracted from that profit.

Any capital gain from your home sale would be added to your other capital gains. The rate is based on your total income.

See What Are the Capital Gains Tax Rates for 2021 vs. 2022? by Kiplinger.

PoojaT27
Employee Tax Expert

Capital Gains

Hello,

Thank you for participating. 

In certain cases, you can treat part of your profit as tax-free even if you don't pass the two-out-of-five-years tests. A reduced exclusion is available if you sell your house before passing those tests because of a,

So, if you need to move to a bigger place to find room for the triplets, the law won't hold it against you.

The cost of any improvements that added value to your home, prolonged its useful life, or gave it a new or different use get added to the cost of the house when calculating the profit on the sale. Closing costs that you paid are deductible when calculating the profit from the sale of your home. 

The article attached below has more information including examples:

Tax Aspects of Home Ownership: Selling a Home 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies