Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Capital gains under 2 year

My question is about primary (only home) residence capital gains. I will be selling after owning for about 1 year. I believe we fall under the capital gains exception rule. Wife and I are moving for jobs. Irs publication 35 (or something like that..) names many scenarios how someone can get an exception. Including "unforseen circumstances" and taking a new job 50 miles+ away and others. My question is..we aren't being transferred...we quit, selling home snd moving. We'll then get new jobs in the new city. My concern is it seems like a loop hole...anyone could claim they moved because of a new job. They would move and just get a minimum wage job and tell the IRS "yup, got a new job". Is there any concern there? 

As far as unforseen circumstances..after covid the job market here has not been good. But...how do I document this?? What if I get audited in 2022 or 2023?? I have an expected gain of $85K for 1 year in the home. As regular income...we'd be easily into 22% federal...big tax bill if it was determined I owned. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Using the exception related to a change in job location, you will not qualify to claim the full exclusion of your gain.  You may qualify for a partial exclusion that will be based on the time that you did own and live in the house.  

As for documentation, you should have new W-2s and paperwork showing that you have changed residence to a new location, but it is unlikely that you would be required to provide any additional documentation.  Qualifying for a partial exclusion would not be considered a loophole to be concerning especially since the exclusion is only allowed one time in any two-year period.  

For your reference, this topic is discussed in IRS Publication 523, Selling Your Home.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you! I feel better about this now. I reviewed that publication again to determine partial exclusion. I read it as...for married; one may exclude $500K of gain- after 2 years. So we would qualify for $250K being at about 1 year. We file jointly. We expect a $80-$100K gain. Seems we will fall well within our limits.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies