Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Capital Gains Tax on Sale of Primary residence

I bought my first townhouse (new house) in July 2016 and lived there till July 2023, in Redmond Washington. I bought and moved to my second house in July 2023 and sold the first townhouse in August 2023 for $1.07M. The total cost of the townhouse is $591K including the upgrades down by the builder.  I paid $22,892 capital gain tax to IRS in December 2023. 

My questions are:

1. Is it correct to use 15% tax rates for this transaction?

2. What support do I need as the upgrades cost? Does the upgrade item menu from builder work? I don't have an invoice from builder. 

3. Will Turbo tax re-calculate the capital gain tax with other income, like stock investment gain/tax, and come up with a final capital gain tax payable? 

Thank you!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Capital Gains Tax on Sale of Primary residence

1. Long term capital gains rate is either 10 or 15% depending on your other income.  15% is a very safe estimator.  

2. You need documentation of what you paid.  If you don't have a receipt then the estimate and a cancelled check/credit card receipt would do.

3. TurboTax can handle this transaction just fine.  But make sure as you enter the details that you are entering that this was a sale of your primary residence.  Since it was your home there is a $250,000 exclusion from gain allowed ($500,000 if you are a married couple) so that should reduce your tax bill significantly.  And yes, all of your capital gains get added up together in order to calculate the taxes due.

@SamSong618 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies