Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Capital gain question

If I qualified for the maximum exclusion on the recent sale of my  home, do I still have to list the amounts of the capital improvements done over the course of the years I owned it??? I received the 1099-S and my CPA is asking for all the improvements, dates, amounts.  This was not an investment home, it was my personal home, lived in it for 2 of the recent 5 yrs., sold it for less than the allowed amount; didn't sell another home recently.  Is there not an option to check off where we don't have to list all of the improvements information if we know we qualify for the capital gain exemption?  or is it regular procedure to list all this info? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Capital gain question

If you qualify for the home capital gain exclusion, and your capital gain without adding the improvements is already below the limit, then there's no need to list the improvements to be added to your cost basis.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Capital gain question

If your gain is less than $250,000 (or $500,000 if married filing jointly) without entering the improvements, there is no benefit or requirement to enter them, since raising your basis won't change your tax. 

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Capital gain question

If you qualify for the home capital gain exclusion, and your capital gain without adding the improvements is already below the limit, then there's no need to list the improvements to be added to your cost basis.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Capital gain question

No you don't as long as none of your gain is taxable. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies