Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MMK4
Level 2

Can TurboTax file taxes for self-employed expat living in Canada or other country with Totalization agreement with US?

Self-employed expats living and paying taxes in Canada and other countries with Totalization agreement are exempt from US self-employment tax. TurboTax doesn't figure out that much of a detail, it is calculating the US self-employment tax on Schedule SE and then copying it over to 1040  and Schedules 1 and 2.

What is the proper way to set the self-employment tax to 0 in this case? I wasn't able to go to Schedule 2 Line 4 and set to 0 the tax.  Also I tried to remove Schedule SE-T and SE Adj Wks, but TurboTax would immediately restore them.

Does this mean that TurboTax cannot be used to file taxes for self-employed expats in countries like Canada, France, Germany, Spain and many more?  I guess there should be some workaround for this?

Thanks!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MMK4
Level 2

Can TurboTax file taxes for self-employed expat living in Canada or other country with Totalization agreement with US?

I found an earlier solution that I will apply, unless there is a better suggestion.
I entered in Schedule SE Adjustments Worksheet Part II line 7 amount equal to Part II Line 1a. This caused Part 2 Line 8 "Total for Schedule SE, line 2" to become equal to 0, and Schedule SE disappeared!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies