Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can't get past this K-1 error: "check this entry" "other expenses allocated at partner level plus foreign other expenses allocated at partner level should not be greater than total other expenses allocated at partner level"

I entered the data per the K-1 following steps, and for expenses the US portion shows 6 and the foreign portions shows 51. But during review it presented that error just showing the edit box for the US portion. 

First this UX of just presenting the single box with an error message is very poor. I also encountered it with simple stock transactions imported from E-Trade but there is not enough information in just a simple error message to even determine the exact context. In this case, I basically understand the error message but I entered the data from the form, so it is unclear which "total expenses" and how it derived the "total expenses" which is more likely the source of the error (I suspect).

In the end, I simply tried entering different numbers, including 0, and sometimes this stopped the prompt during errors but then when going to file it showed up again and prevented filing.

So basically it let me go through the whole efile process, even charging me, but then at the last second prevented me from filing. Yet I have no idea how to fix this error.

It would really help IMO if turbo tax could import K-1 and K-3 data since this is such a slow and painful process especially when the flow has you jumping around the K-1 and K-3 data. I'd rather methodically enter each entry from the forms to know things are exactly as I have them then this jumping around process that eventually leads to errors.

Speaking of which, is there a way to simply print that single k-1 and k-3 form and associated worksheets (other than printing/saving the whole return then trying to find the pages) so I can try to trouble shoot from the printed version?

Also while I'm here, I have a K-1 that has multiple countries. It says to use multiple "worksheets" but then doesn't actually allow you to do that in the flow. Is it correct that you have to re-enter common information for the same K-1 if there are multiple countries listed or did I miss something? In fact, now that I ask that the one I have multiple K-1s for is the one complaining.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Can't get past this K-1 error: "check this entry" "other expenses allocated at partner level plus foreign other expenses allocated at partner level should not be greater than total other expenses allocated at partner level"

I'll page @Mike9241 for this, but you might have to contact Support.

How do I contact TurboTax? (intuit.com)

As additional information, I actually wasn't completed adding K-1s.

After adding another I ran into a related error for a different field.

"Additional Info 1: Foreign interest expense allocated at partner level is listed but no foreign source income at individual level has been listed on the K-1 Additional Information worksheet line 1."

then an edit box labelled:

"Fgn Tax Ln 1 Ln 2 col 3" showing the value 0.

Again, this is after going through the steps of entering K-1 and K-3 data. Should be straightforward but end up stuck on this error.

Note that even if I enter a value, it still reports the exact same error message, but now displays the number that was entered.

I still can't get past this issue.

Is there no help/updates to fix this?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies