Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

B-rabbit

Can't File State because filing status is different between state and federal

Turbo tax thinks I am filing differently from federal than state even though I am filing single for both. I don't know where to change this information to make it know that my filing status is the same in both. Any help?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Can't File State because filing status is different between state and federal

To make sure your federal and state returns show the same filing status, please follow these steps:

1. While in your return, click on the My Info link in the black bar on the left side of your screen.
  2. In the second section (below your name, SSN etc.)  you should see the marital status.
  3. If it does not say Single, click on the Edit link.
  4. On the screen, Let's confirm your marital status, mark the Single radio button and click Continue.
  5. Go into your State return by clicking the State link in the black bar on the left side of your screen.  
  6. Continue through your state return for a few screens.  [You don't have to go through the whole return.]
  7. You can then try going through the Review and File process again.

If you still get the message that the filing statuses differ, you will have to delete the state return and open a new state return.  Don't worry, though, most of the information transfers from the federal return.

You can delete your TurboTax Online state return as long as you haven't paid for it yet (or registered in a free version):

1. While in your return click on the State link in the black bar on the left side of your screen.  .  
  2. On the Status of your state returns screen, click Delete next to the state you wish to remove. Then answer Yes.

In some cases, you won't see the option to delete, just Edit and Start Over. This is because you either already paid for your state or registered your free version while that state was attached to your return.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies