Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Nova191

Can't file electronically because of 1099NEC forms

We have paid for this program to work properly.  If we can't use it Turbo Tax need to refund our hard earned money.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Please clarify - what errors are you receiving when you try to file?  Have you completed the schedule C that you need to file for the 1099-NEC forms?

Today is the first day that the IRS has begun accepting efiled tax returns.  So if it hasn't gone in before today it isn't any big deal.  

@Nova191 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Nova191

Yes, I know.  I have been s/e for more than 25 years and always use TT to e-file.  Apparently, there is possibly a Know Issue regarding 1099and 1099NEC because anyone that has these forms TT is requesting to mail the returns with these forms.  There are many online customers who are very upset, 10 pages of responses to this date and time.

avon

Nova191

This return has certain forms that can't be e-filed

I can't get Turbo Tax to e-file.  The final review doesn't show any errors. 

All of the program updates are up-to-date.

It says "This return has certain forms that can't be e-filed, usually because of tax regulations, so you'll need to file by mail. For more details, select the Review tab, above, and continue through Final Review. To file by mail, select the file tab, continue and select File by Mail."

I don't want to wait for mailing it in.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

There is a lot of traffic today and a lot of repairs being done by the programmers.  I know it's a hassle but I would honestly wait til tomorrow or the next day.  Mailing the return in will add so many weeks to the back end that it's worth waiting a few days on the front end.

@Nova191 

I have encountered the same issue. Just entering 'w2' and attempting to e-file does not result in any errors. However, when entering '1099NEC,' an error occurs, indicating that e-filing is not possible. Similarly, entering information for rental property also prevents you from e-filing.

Nova191

I think it is bad business to provide a product that does not fulfil commitment to the consumer.

LLCOOLD

I am having the same issue today and have never seen this error before.   Others still seeing it?

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

TurboTax is having an issue where schedule C filers are unable to electronically file their returns.  They are aware of it and working to fix the problem.  I would suggest trying again tomorrow or the next day.

@LLCOOLD 

I am also having similar problems with Form 1099-NEC WOrkssheet Bo 6 State Name - Line 2 is required when other state information is present. The information on NEC is blank. What should I do. This error is been posted by others since 01-24 STILL NOT RESOLVED. CAN'T FILE AND SEND BY MAIL. THIS IS NOT GOOD SERVICE. 2 DAYS MORE TO FILE.

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

If you don't have any state information at all on your Form 1099-NEC, leave the entire state section blank. When you first enter the form, TurboTax has a check box "My form has other info in boxes 4-7". If you don't check the box, the fields won't populate.

If you entered state information but not the payer's state ID number in Box 6, contact the payer for their state ID. It may also be available online. You could also try inputting their Federal ID number in that box. Each state has different conventions for their state ID numbers. For some states, you can enter all 9s with the correct number of digits for that state if the number is missing.

The issue that was being reported back in January was that Form 1099-NEC wasn't yet available for e-filing. That was resolved. Use this online tool to check TurboTax forms availability.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies