Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can't eFile from Singapore

Hi,

While trying to eFile, I'm getting the following message This is the Request "Form 1099-R (CHARLES SCHWAB & CO., INC.): Recipient state abbreviation is invalid. You must use standard U.S. postal abbreviations.  "

I found that some previous have faced the same the same issue and the workaround is to go to myinfo and switch to US address to clean any residual US address information.  Work around from 2019 is apparently as follows:

• Return to the My Info section and select the Edit next to your mailing address
  • Change the mailing address drop-down box from Foreign address back to US address
  • You may see part of your US address still there (i.e City Name) - remove any US entries still present
  • Change the drop-down box back to Foreign address from US address
  • Reenter your current foreign address and continue to file your return 

I tried the above steps but am still facing the same problem. Why would TurboTax's worksheet stopped us from filing with a foreign address?  Can someone help?

Thanks in advance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Can't eFile from Singapore

It depends. In some cases e-file is allowed with a foreign address.  See the information in the link below for additional information and keep in mind the IRS does have requirements we must meet to be eligible for e-file ability.

TurboTax will walk you through the process and let you know if you can e-file.  If not,  a paper return must be mailed with an address provided.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies