Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can't Delete 0 per SmartCheck Form 8936 Schedule A

SmartCheck says that Part 3 line 12 should be blank. It has a 0. I did not put it there. It's yellow highlighted but I can't change it. It doesn't affect anything at all but I'm afraid I won't be able to submit my taxes online if the zero is there. I've gone back to Easy Step to try and fix it that way but there is no corresponding question. This is SO FRUSTRATING.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

Try deleting Form 8936 and Form 8936 Schedule A, then re-inputting.  Here's the procedure for deleting the form in TurboTax Online:  

1. Open TurboTax Online
  2. Select Tax Home in the left pane
  3. On the Hi, let's keep working on your taxes! screen, select the dropdown on the right side of any box in the middle of the screen, then select Start or Review/Edit
  4. After more topics will generate in the left pane, select the Tax Tools dropdown
  5. Select Tools
  6. In the pop-up window Tool Center, select Delete a form
  7. Select Delete next to the form and follow the onscreen instructions

Then, to re-enter your information in TurboTax Online:

1. Open TurboTax Online
  3. On the Hi, let's keep working on your taxes! screen, select the dropdown on the right side of the Deductions & Credits box, then select Start, Continue, or Pick up where you left off
  4. On the Your tax breaks page, scroll down and select the dropdown to the right of Cars and Other Things You Own
  5. Select Start or Revisit to the right of Energy-Efficient Vehicles
  6. Answer Yes to the question Did you buy a Clean Vehicle on the Energy-Efficient Vehicles page, if appropriate
  7. Provide all relevant information requested on the subsequent screens

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

Try deleting Form 8936 and Form 8936 Schedule A, then re-inputting.  Here's the procedure for deleting the form in TurboTax Online:  

1. Open TurboTax Online
  3. On the Hi, let's keep working on your taxes! screen, select the dropdown on the right side of any box in the middle of the screen, then select Start or Review/Edit
  4. After more topics will generate in the left pane, select the Tax Tools dropdown
  5. Select Tools
  6. In the pop-up window Tool Center, select Delete a form
  7. Select Delete next to the form and follow the onscreen instructions

Then, to re-enter your information in TurboTax Online:

1. Open TurboTax Online
  3. On the Hi, let's keep working on your taxes! screen, select the dropdown on the right side of the Deductions & Credits box, then select Start, Continue, or Pick up where you left off
  4. On the Your tax breaks page, scroll down and select the dropdown to the right of Cars and Other Things You Own
  5. Select Start or Revisit to the right of Energy-Efficient Vehicles
  6. Answer Yes to the question Did you buy a Clean Vehicle on the Energy-Efficient Vehicles page, if appropriate
  7. Provide all relevant information requested on the subsequent screens

Thank, you. Deleting the forms and re-entering the information worked. Thankfully, there were only a few questions that needed to be re-input.

It would be nice if TurboTax provided straightforward ways to fix errors that are not user errors but system errors. But I'm very glad that this was relatively easily resolved.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies