Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can someone help me. My son was born on 10/28/2019 he died 2/2/2020. I have sent in his birth and death certificate. SS said they can't give us a number for tax purposes.

He was a twin and we received one, but something happened on the hospital's end with the filing of his social security card. We have sent in his birth and death certificate.  What are my options? When we filed last year they didn't allow our deduction for him then, but we didn't really question it as we were grieving and couldn't handle the battle then.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Can someone help me. My son was born on 10/28/2019 he died 2/2/2020. I have sent in his birth and death certificate. SS said they can't give us a number for tax purposes.

the only people that can help work for the Social Security Adm.  call. 

@mmoser2019 wrote:
He was a twin and we received one, but something happened on the hospital's end with the filing of his social security card. We have sent in his birth and death certificate.  What are my options? When we filed last year they didn't allow our deduction for him then, but we didn't really question it as we were grieving and couldn't handle the battle then.

You can claim your son for both 2019 and 2020.      A child born or died anytime during the year is deemed to have lived with you the entire year so in the depended interview say he lived with you the entire year.

Print and mail your tax returns and write DIED in place of the SSN and attach a copy of the birth certificate and death certificate.

See IRS Pub 17

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p17

Dependent's SSN.

You must provide the SSN of each dependent you claim, regardless of the dependent's age. This requirement applies to all dependents (not just your children) claimed on your tax return.

Your child must have an SSN valid for employment issued before the due date of your 2020 return (including extensions) to be considered a qualifying child for certain tax benefits on your original or amended 2020 return. See chapter 14 and Pub. 596..

Exception.

If your child was born and died in 2020 and didn't have an SSN, enter "DIED" in column (2) of the Dependents section of Form 1040 or 1040-SR and include a copy of the child's birth certificate, death certificate, or hospital records. The document must show that the child was born alive.

See IRS Pub: page 12.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies