kkahlon

Can someone explain personal exemption? Can I still file and get a refund even though my parents claim me as a dependent? Taxes were rejected, please advise. Thank you!

AnnetteB

'Personal exemption' in the context of the 2018 tax return indicates whether you are being claimed as a dependent on another return.  Prior to the 2018 return, there was actual a tax benefit for claiming a personal exemption.

If you are being claimed as a dependent on your parents' return, then you need to indicate this on your own return or it will be rejected.  You can still file a return if you need to report income.  Whether or not you get a refund will depend on what you are reporting on your return. 

You would not qualify for an education credit as someone else's dependent.

Go back to the Personal Info and mark "someone is claaiming me".

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing