Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can someone clarify "Consent to Disclosure" terms??

When using Turbo Tax to file for extension, the last page has the Consent to Disclosure.  My situation is a bit quirky, and I don't want to get caught in case I don't quite understand.

My wife started a small business of her own, working with foreign exchange students.  I ended up trying to keep the records and all that, and I got the self employed version of Turbo Tax.  But it's new territory for me and has all become tangled and more than I can get straight, so I went to a guy who is a family friend, who is a tax accountant, to turn it over to him.  But this is really late to start as his client, so I said I would use Turbo Tax to get an extension, something I did once before which seemed easy enough.

So my question is about the terms of the Consent.

I consent to allow my Intermediate Service Provider, transmitter, or Electronic Return Originator  to send my return to the IRS and to receive the following information from the IRS: (a) Acknowledgement of receipt or reason for rejection of transmission, and (b) If delayed, reason for any delay in processing the form.

I presume they mean I'm going to allow Turbo Tax (or Intuit) to send my return to IRS, and to receive IRS's response.

Here's the question - if the extension goes through, does that tie my return (in IRS's eyes) to Tubro Tax in any way that would prevent my tax friend from taking over and doing the final filing of the return? 

Did that make sense?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

No.  It means you are consenting to allow TurboTax to send your extension, Form 4868, to the IRS and that you will receive an acknowledgement of receipt by the IRS.  This does not 'tie your return' to TurboTax in the eyes of the IRS.  

Your friend can e-file your tax return for you once it is ready to file with the IRS.  At t hat time you will also receive an acknowledgement from the IRS about your actual tax return receipt.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

No.  It means you are consenting to allow TurboTax to send your extension, Form 4868, to the IRS and that you will receive an acknowledgement of receipt by the IRS.  This does not 'tie your return' to TurboTax in the eyes of the IRS.  

Your friend can e-file your tax return for you once it is ready to file with the IRS.  At t hat time you will also receive an acknowledgement from the IRS about your actual tax return receipt.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Megathanks (1 million thanks!)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies