Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jk67vcx-2

Can other people get the Virginia educator expense to work? It doesn't allow me to enter a number for this without putting in more than the allowed amount in the federal.

Obviously I don't want to claim more than the federal limit on my federal taxes just to get the state amount to be right. Federal is $300 and Virginia allows $500.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Can other people get the Virginia educator expense to work? It doesn't allow me to enter a number for this without putting in more than the allowed amount in the federal.

If you claim the deduction on the federal return, you cannot use the same expenses for the Virginia deduction- so the Virginia deductible amount is anything OVER $300 if deducted on the federal return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jk67vcx-2

Thanks! The issue is that in order to get that additional amount to appear on the State return in Turbo Tax, you have to put in the higher State amount in the Federal return--which didn't make a lot of sense to me. But it looks like the system automatically reduces this to the max of $300 in the Federal, even if you put the whole $500 in the Federal return. Weird, but it seems to work. Thanks for your help with my question!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies