turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dubheff

Can NOL for individuals carried forward from 2016 & 2017 be used to offset 2018 ordinary income under the new tax law?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can NOL for individuals carried forward from 2016 & 2017 be used to offset 2018 ordinary income under the new tax law?

Yes, Net Operating Loss carryforwards can still be used, and can offset your 2018 income.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Yes, Net Operating Loss carryforwards can still be used, and can offset your 2018 income.

TurboTax Premier did not carry over the NOL to 2018 ? I do not see an amount populated on the form?

From what I have been told, TurboTax does NOT calculate NOLs.  

That means you need to MANUALLY calculate it and MANUALLY enter it where it asks for it.

I read that long ago as well, but it seems to have entries that I did not put into 2018

The whole point of TurboTax is so you do not have to make calculations...?!   >: (

But there are A LOT of "unsupported calculations" in the program.

Turbo tax carried over an nol from last year. But there's still a lot to consider when taking NOL. The statement form has to be filled out. The exemption that is gone now was calculated into the carryforward.  Now there are just deductions. I've read the NOL can only be used against the spouse who incurred the loss and not the total income, but it appears TT is deducting from total income.  Perhaps a CPA call is in order.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies