frank3210

Can my daughter do she is a server and her wages reported in box 1 is not what she received from the employer?

my daughter is a server and her wages reported in box 1 is not what she received from the employer. It is what they assume she made in tips plus the wage they paid her. The amount is too high. Anything she should do?

Hal_Al

All she can do is ask her employer for a corrected W-2.

Box 1 of the W-2 is (suppose to be) what she was actually paid. The "assumed tips" are to be shown separately in box 8 of the W-2 (allocated tips).

As it stands now, the IRS will expect her W-2 to be reported as issued.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

the IRS has instructions on what to do if you receive an incorrect W-2 and the employer is uncooperative: https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/w-2-additional-incorrect-lost-non-receipt-omitted/w-2-additi...