Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

AdamE

Can I use either TurboTax Self-Employed or Home & Business to file personal taxes if I founded a C-corp?

Hi, I founded a new C-corp last year. I used an accountant to file my corporate taxes already and am now looking to file my personal taxes (jointly with my wife if feasible). I made loans to my new company to get it off the ground and did not issue myself a W-2 because I have not paid myself anything yet. I am the only employee of the company thus far.

Can I claim these payments via Schedule C in either TT Self-Employed or TT Home & Business? Would you recommend one product or the other based on my situation?

Thanks in advance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Can I use either TurboTax Self-Employed or Home & Business to file personal taxes if I founded a C-corp?

If you made loans to your C-corp, the company should have issued you a Form 1099-INT, which you would report on your personal tax return as interest income.  There is no deduction for making loans to a company, even if you 100% of the stock.  If you paid expenses for the business, with personal funds, you cannot deduct them on your tax return.  In order to get a tax deduction you will need to have the Company reimburse you, and the Company can deduct them.  As for Home & Business vs Self-Employed, based on what you described you don't have anything to report on a Schedule C.  That said, there are minor differences between the two, but the biggest difference is that Home & Business is software that resides on you computer, while Self-Employed is internet based.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies