Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I take a tax free HSA distribution this year for expenses which were incurred in the past by my children who are no longer my dependents?

My HSA was established in 2013. I kept receipts for expenses my kids had when they were my dependents in years past (after the HSA was established). They are no longer my dependents. Can I still take a qualifed HSA distribution for their past expenses?

Also, I no longer have a High Deductible Health Plan, which ended in 2021, so I know I can't contribute any more but assume this does not impact my ability to take a qualified distribution.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT1
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

Can I take a tax free HSA distribution this year for expenses which were incurred in the past by my children who are no longer my dependents?

Yes, you can be reimbursed your dependents' medical expenses as long as these expenses are incurred after the HSA was established and while they were your dependents.

Not having a HDHP will prevent from contributing to your HSA but you can still use the funds to pay for eligible medical expenses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MinhT1
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

Yes, you can be reimbursed your dependents' medical expenses as long as these expenses are incurred after the HSA was established and while they were your dependents.

Not having a HDHP will prevent from contributing to your HSA but you can still use the funds to pay for eligible medical expenses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies