Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I submit federal and state tax returns without an SSN/ITIN?

I moved to the US a few months back, and despite being eligible for an SSN I have been unable to obtain an appointment to get one (hundreds of phone calls have gone unanswered, and I was turned away from the office when I tried to go in-person). I very much doubt I will be able to get an SSN by 18th April. Also, since I am eligible for an SSN, I am ineligible for an ITIN. 

I have prepared my forms using Sprintax (recommended by Turbotax for non-residents), where I used a temporary SSN given to me by my employer. Is it acceptable to mail in my federal and state (Maryland) tax returns with this temporary SSN crossed out, with a note explaining my situation? Otherwise I do not see how I can submit by the 18th April deadline. Even the forms for requesting a deadline extension seem to require an SSN...

Thank you in advance. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
FangxiaL
Expert Alumni

You need to apply for an SSN first before you are able to file your tax return. Try to visit a local Social Security Administration office. 

www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I visited my local office with my forms signed and my passport, they said I had to leave because I didn't have an appointment. But I can't make an appointment because no one picks up the phone. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies