Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

GF-in-CT

Can I still claim my dependent full-time student son for 2017 if he changes his residency to IN this fall and I live and file in CT?

I live in CT, he is a college student living in IN. I provide well over 50% of his expenses. He is making about $9,000 from his part-time job and when he submits his own tax return for that income he will not claim himself as a dependent so I can if I am allowed to.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Can I still claim my dependent full-time student son for 2017 if he changes his residency to IN this fall and I live and file in CT?

Yes, but.

#1. He can be your dependent if he lived with you more than half the year, and did not provide more than half his own support, and meets the age test (a full time student under 24).  If he moves in the fall, then he would have lived with you more than half of 2017.  You can't claim him for 2018 because he will not have lived at home half the year and he earns over $4050.

However,

#2, being away at college is usually considered a "temporary absence" and he would be credited with living with you assuming he would have lived with you if not at college.  Just getting a dorm or apartment in another state is not necessarily breaking that home residency requirement.  Even living in a dorm or apartment, he might be considered to "live with you" for tax purposes, especially if the apartment is temporary and he comes home for summers.  There is no black line rule, it depends on the facts and circumstances.  So you will need to consider the application of this rule to see if he can be claimed as a dependent for 2018.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies