Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I still claim my 18 year old full time college student living at home until Jan 2017 after she filed her taxes and claimed she was not a dependent?

My Daughter turned 18 in July and is a full time college student,  In Jan 2017 she moved into an apartment at College.  She already filed her taxes and claimed she could not be claimed as a dependent (but she still was for last year).  When I tried to    e file I could not because of this.  What is the best way to proceed?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

Can I still claim my 18 year old full time college student living at home until Jan 2017 after she filed her taxes and claimed she was not a dependent?

It is 2017, but we are filing 2016 tax returns. Each filing season, we are filing taxes for the previous year. It sounds like your daughter qualified to be your dependent in 2016 and should have claimed that she was your dependent. In order for you to claim her, she will need to file an amended tax return and indicate that she's a dependent on someone else's tax return. Then, you will need to paper file your tax return.

For directions on filing an amended tax return in Turbo Tax, please view the Turbo Tax FAQ below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

Please keep in mind that an amended tax return must be paper filed, so it will need to be printed and mailed. As much, it can take up to 16 weeks to process an amended tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies