Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kmfornoff

Can I split a federal tax payment onto multiple credit cards when e-filing with TurboTax? I know I can do this if I pay through the IRS approved credit card processors.

I want to use 2 or 3 different credit cards to pay my federal tax bill. I know I can do this if I pay IRS directly, but I don't see a way to do it when I choose 'Charge my credit card' in TurboTax.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Can I split a federal tax payment onto multiple credit cards when e-filing with TurboTax? I know I can do this if I pay through the IRS approved credit card processors.

No.  In turbotax, select "I will pay on my own" or "I will pay by check".  Then after you file but before April 18, go to irs.gov/payments and make your own arrangements.   Be sure to select "2022 from 1040" as the reason from the menu. 

kmfornoff

Thanks for your quick reply. So, if I don't see an option for "I will pay on my own.", I can still use the pay by check to then go and do my own thing with credit cards, correct?

@kmfornoff wrote:

Thanks for your quick reply. So, if I don't see an option for "I will pay on my own.", I can still use the pay by check to then go and do my own thing with credit cards, correct?

Right, you want to pay on your own, not through the program.  Then you can do whatever you want.  I normally don't owe so I don't get this screen.  It used to say "I will pay by check" but since this is also what you should pick if you want to pay by credit card or ask for a payment plan from the IRS, I think the question should be re-worded.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies