Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I lend my vehicle on Turo to earn side income while being on H1b?

All, 

I am currently on H1B and I am looking for side income options and recently came across turo app which allows you to lend your vehicle for rental purposes to make money. Is this something allowed while being on H1b? If someone knows about it, please share info, thanks in advance. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Can I lend my vehicle on Turo to earn side income while being on H1b?

@mdevang , assuming that you are still looking for an answer here, 

First Namaste;

Second , this is not the correct forum for answering questions regarding limitations ( or lack thereof ) placed by Immigration Services / DHS on  H1-B visa holders;  The volunteers are well versed in US taxes and/or the use of TurboTax to prepare the  individual and business returns;

Third, however, I do not believe that there is any limitation for a H1-B worker to invest his earned ( and taxable ) income in any way he/she chooses to.  Thus if you invest your earnings in  securities etc. , it is your money and do as you please as long as  you recognize the earnings and pay taxes on those. Ditto for  renting your house or your car.  At the same time,  I shudder at the thought of somebody lending their car pout to a stranger without adequate  self-protection ( insurance etc. )  even beyond what  Tur offers.  Suggest you talk to lawyer friend  to make sure that you are protected.  This country is full of trial lawyers  ( nothing bad -- they are necessary ) and one can sue  you to the hilt.

I wish you well and a very pleasant  stay in this country

Namaste

pk

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies