Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can i get an exemption on the healthcare penalty if my medicare coverage unintentionally lapsed a few months due to moving to another state (from Florida to Texas)?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Can i get an exemption on the healthcare penalty if my medicare coverage unintentionally lapsed a few months due to moving to another state (from Florida to Texas)?

Please see the possible exemptions below in the screen shots. In addition, there are hardship exemptions.

Following are all hardship exemptions, with links to details, forms, and instructions.

1. You were homeless
  2. You were evicted or were facing eviction or foreclosure
  3. You received a shut-off notice from a utility company
  4. You experienced domestic violence
  5. You experienced the death of a family member
  6. You experienced a fire, flood, or other natural or human-caused disaster that caused substantial damage to your property
  7. You filed for bankruptcy
  8. You had medical expenses you couldn’t pay that resulted in substantial debt
  9. You experienced unexpected increases in necessary expenses due to caring for an ill, disabled, or aging family ...
  10. You claim a child as a tax dependent who’s been denied coverage for Medicaid and CHIP for 2016, and another person is required by court order to give medical support to the child. In this case you don’t have to pay the penalty for the child.
  11. As a result of an eligibility appeals decision, you’re eligible for enrollment in a qualified health plan (QHP) through the Marketplace, lower costs on your monthly premiums, or cost-sharing reductions for a time period when you weren’t enrolled in a QHP through the Marketplace in 2016
  12. You were determined ineligible for Medicaid because your state didn’t expand eligibility for Medicaid in... under the Affordable Care Act
  13. Your "grandfathered" individual insurance plan (a plan you’ve had since March 23, 2010 or ... and you believe other Marketplace plans are unaffordable
  14. You had another hardship. If you experienced another hardship obtaining health insurance, use this form to describe your hardship and apply for an exemption

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies