Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pactogie1
Returning Member

Can I get a New York State refund for Tax Year 2022 for NYPFL capped at $423.71 taken out on two separate W2's

My employer was acquired by another company in mid year of 2022. The capped amount for NY Paid Family Leave is $423.71.  My first employer withheld the capped amount and it's shown on the 1st W2. The new company also witheld $423.71 and it shown on a 2nd W2.  Therefore a total of $847.42 was withheld exceeding the capped amount.  My new employer advised that I should get this back from my tax refund. If this is correct, how do I categorize this credit? Thanks in advance. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Can I get a New York State refund for Tax Year 2022 for NYPFL capped at $423.71 taken out on two separate W2's

You can't get a refund by filing a claim on your tax return. You will have to call the Paid Family Leave Hotline at 844-337-6303 to request further guidance. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
pactogie1
Returning Member

Can you elaborate on why I can't claim a refund on the excess withholding  when the cap is $423.71 and I contributed $847.42? Aren't there any acceptable code for me to use on  IT-201 ATT, line 12 "Other refundable credits" so that it gets me to line 18 of IT-201-ATT then on to Form IT-201, line 71? Thanks for your reply

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

Contact your employer. Excess paid family leave premiums should be returned to employees. You cannot get the amount back on your income tax return. There is no means set up by NYS to do this.

Please try calling Paid Family Leave Hotline at 844-337-6303 to request further guidance, or per NYS Paid Family Leave Website:

Deduction Refund Processing

Refund requests for an erroneously processed Paid Family Leave deduction should be submitted via email by the Agency Payroll Officer to the Tax and Compliance mailbox. The email subject line should state “Paid Family Leave Refund Request.” The Agency Payroll Officer should provide the: Employer ID, Employee Name, and Refund Amount.

Click here for additional information on paid family leave deductions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies