turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I file my state taxes and get an extension on my federal taxes?

1 Reply
New Member

Can I file my state taxes and get an extension on my federal taxes?

No.  State income tax returns use the information from your federal income tax return and state's require a copy of your federal return to be included with your state income tax return filing therefore you will need to file your federal income tax return in order to be able to file your state tax return.

If you need more time to file your federal taxes, you will want to file an extension for your state also.

Many states give an automatic extension when you file the federal extension Form 4868 but check with your state's Department of Revenue to make sure that your state doesn't have a separate state extension filing. Here is a link to the State Department of Revenue Contacts

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing

Related Content

Manage cookies