Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nouise04

Can I file my son's taxes for him? He died this year and left 2 children behind. Can I file on their behalf?what do I need to do?

He worked in 2 states and died
Grandmother has cousidyof the children.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Can I file my son's taxes for him? He died this year and left 2 children behind. Can I file on their behalf?what do I need to do?

Was he married?

My son passed in 2017 and has a refunded coming back from the irs.  who will get this refund?  he was not married or had no childred
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

I'm sorry for your loss!  You should complete Form 1310-Statement of person claiming refund due a deceased taxpayer.  You can include it with his return or send it in to the IRS separately.  To prepare form 1310, click on the Search Icon at the top right of the screen and type in *1310*  (without the asterisks).  Click on the JUMP TO 1310.....  and follow the directions on the screen.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Yes, you can file your son's return for him in TurboTax.  You will need to create a new login in TurboTax for his return.

To start a new return in TurboTax Online, please follow the directions in the FAQ below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288574

During the interview you will see a screen Do Any of These Apply to [your son's name]? 

1. Mark the box Passed away before filing this return. 
  2. Enter his date of death in the box provided and click Continue.  
  3. As you continue through the interview TurboTax will ask you for additional information if needed.

If you missed that screen, you can enter the information in the Personal Info section:

1. Click on the Personal Info tab.
  2. Click on Edit next to your son's name.   [See Screenshot #1, below.]
  3. In section #3,  A few other things we need to know, mark the box that I'm preparing this return for [son's name], who has passed away. [Screenshot #2]

The following FAQ contains additional information on e-filing a return for a deceased person:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300219

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies