Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I file my son's return for him he is married but separated for 3 yrs not legally he does not pay support

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I file my son's return for him he is married but separated for 3 yrs not legally he does not pay support

He must sign his own return electronically, or give you power of attorney to sign his return for him.

If you are using Turbotax online, you can certainly help him, and if he gives permission then you can sign electronically for him and the IRS won't know the difference, as long as nothing goes wrong.

Be aware that each Turbotax Online account can only file one tax return.  If you need to file more than one return, you need to create additional accounts.  You can have multiple accounts linked to one email address for notifications, just with different user names.  Go to the account sign in page but choose "Create a new account."  And unless you qualify for free filing, each account has a separate filing fee.  Buying Turbotax as a CD/download and installing it on your own computer may be more cost effective

View solution in original post

1 Reply

He must sign his own return electronically, or give you power of attorney to sign his return for him.

If you are using Turbotax online, you can certainly help him, and if he gives permission then you can sign electronically for him and the IRS won't know the difference, as long as nothing goes wrong.

Be aware that each Turbotax Online account can only file one tax return.  If you need to file more than one return, you need to create additional accounts.  You can have multiple accounts linked to one email address for notifications, just with different user names.  Go to the account sign in page but choose "Create a new account."  And unless you qualify for free filing, each account has a separate filing fee.  Buying Turbotax as a CD/download and installing it on your own computer may be more cost effective

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies