sondretaylor

Can I file my 2019 tax return even though I didn’t file my 2018

LeonardS

There's no law or rule that says you have to file your 2018 return before you can do your 2019 return.

However, it's best to prepare your 2018 return first, if possible. This gives you several advantages:

• You'll be able transfer your 2018 data to your 2019 return, which saves time and prevents data entry errors.
  • You'll have the answers to certain program questions that involve last year's return (and you'll avoid having to amend your return if you answered them incorrectly).
  • You'll be able to use the AGI method to electronically sign your 2019 return so you can e-file it.

If you're not able to file your 2018 return before filing your 2019 taxes, that's OK. Just be sure to review your 2019 return after you've filed 2018. Should your 2019 return need corrections based on info in your 2018 return, you may need to amend your 2019 return.

opowell

thanks info really helped