Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Can I file Head of Household if my child is going to college full time in Germany?

1 Reply
Opus 17
Level 15

Can I file Head of Household if my child is going to college full time in Germany?


The factors to claim a dependent are:

1. age, under 24 if a full time student

2. support; dependent did not provide more than half their own support

3. residency; dependent must "live with you" more than half the year, including temporary absences.

College is normally considered temporary absence and you get credit for a dependent who "lived with you" if they would have lived with you if it was not for college.  There is no black letter rule that can determine when a child no longer "lives with you" and no longer counts as being temporarily away from home.  It depends on circumstances.  Most of the time, being away at college will be considered still living with you, especially if the child comes home for vacations, still keeps their stuff at your house, etc.  But it depends on each set of circumstances.

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies