Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I file as head of household and claim both my dependents are exemptions? So my daughters are both my exemptions and my qualifying persons for head of household?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Can I file as head of household and claim both my dependents are exemptions? So my daughters are both my exemptions and my qualifying persons for head of household?

You only need one qualifying person to file as head of household. There is no benefit in having more than one. You can claim both of your daughters as dependents, and get the exemptions for both of them, and also use one of them as the qualifying person for head of household. TurboTax will do this automatically when you enter both as dependents. This is all assuming, of course, that they both satisfy all the tests for you to claim them as dependents, and to be a qualifying person for head of household.

Hal_Al
Level 15

So, yes; your daughters are both your exemptions and your qualifying persons for head of household.

Depending on your situation, the following info may be of use:
 There is a special rule in the case of divorced & separated (including never married) parents. When the non-custodial parent is claiming the child as a dependent/exemption/child tax credit; the custodial parent is still allowed to claim the same child for Earned Income Credit, Head of Household filing status, and day care credit. This "splitting of the child" is not available to parents who lived together at any time during the last 6 months of the year; then only one of you can claim the child for any tax reasons. The tax benefits may not be split in any other manner

So, in that situation; your daughter would not be your exemption (dependent), but would still be your qualifying person for HoH.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies