Can I file as any of the "qualify to file as", or do I need to use the suggested by turbotax? Newly weds. head of household, married filling together, separate

rjs

I don't know where you would see a list of "qualify to file as" in TurboTax. If you were already married as of December 31, 2021, your only choices for filing status are Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately. If you did not get married until 2022, you cannot file as married for 2021. You would each have to file as single, unless there is a child involved that you haven't mentioned.

rjs

There are some other possibilities that might apply in very unusual circumstances, such as if one of you was married to someone else as of December 31, 2021, or one of you was widowed in 2021. But since you used the term "newlyweds," I assume you were two single people with no children, who got married in 2021 or 2022. If that's not the case, and you're still not sure about your filing status, post more details.

rjs

The tag below your question indicates that you are using TurboTax Live. You should contact a TurboTax Live expert to discuss your questions about filing status. You are paying extra for that service.

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing