Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I file as any of the "qualify to file as", or do I need to use the suggested by turbotax? Newly weds. head of household, married filling together, separate

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Can I file as any of the "qualify to file as", or do I need to use the suggested by turbotax? Newly weds. head of household, married filling together, separate

I don't know where you would see a list of "qualify to file as" in TurboTax. If you were already married as of December 31, 2021, your only choices for filing status are Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately. If you did not get married until 2022, you cannot file as married for 2021. You would each have to file as single, unless there is a child involved that you haven't mentioned.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

There are some other possibilities that might apply in very unusual circumstances, such as if one of you was married to someone else as of December 31, 2021, or one of you was widowed in 2021. But since you used the term "newlyweds," I assume you were two single people with no children, who got married in 2021 or 2022. If that's not the case, and you're still not sure about your filing status, post more details.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The tag below your question indicates that you are using TurboTax Live. You should contact a TurboTax Live expert to discuss your questions about filing status. You are paying extra for that service.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies