turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I file a separate tax return as single if I filed the first tax return as married filed jointly?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Can I file a separate tax return as single if I filed the first tax return as married filed jointly?

No. If you are married you can’t file as single. But you can amend your return to file as married separately before April 15. That is generally not an advantageous filing status. 

DawnC
Expert Alumni

No, you can only file one return each year.   If you were married on Dec 31, 2023 - your options are married - filing separately or jointly.    You can amend or supersede your original return, but if you were married, you can't choose Single as your marital status.   Once you file a joint return, you cannot choose to file separate returns for that year after the due date of the return (04/15/24).

You may qualify for more than one filing status.  If you were married as of year-end, but were separated the last six months of the year, are NOT filing a joint return, paid for more than half of your home's upkeep, and have a qualifying child, you may qualify to use Head of Household, but you would still choose Married as your marital status.   TurboTax will ask you all the relevant questions when you go through the personal information questions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You can only file one tax return. Why do you want to file another tax return?

Are you single or married? If you were married as of December 31, 2023 you cannot file as single. If you were not married as of December 31, 2023 you cannot file as married.

If were not married as of December 31, 2023 and you improperly filed as married filing jointly, you should correct the error before April 15. It becomes much more difficult and complicated to make the correction after the April 15 due date. You can file a superseding return by April 15. If you file an amended return, Form 1040-X, by April 15 it will be treated as a superseding return. I'm not sure how this affects the person that you filed jointly with. You and the other person should probably get local professional help. Do it right away because the closer it gets to April 15 the busier the tax professionals get. They are not going to want to deal with an improper joint filing at the last minute.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies