Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I enter 1095-A allocation amounts for my shared marketplace policy that will benefit each of us w/ a refund? Why is the result different when SLCSP is left blank?

(Please see edit below.)

I share a healthcare marketplace/ACA policy with my daughter who is no longer my dependent and I pay the monthly premiums. When she became independent I did not remember to change her status during the ACA re-enrollment period to no longer being claimed as a dependent on my taxes. 

So I'm worried about allocating the policy amounts in an above-board way. We have experimented with entering numbers and if she enters 0 each for Premium, SLCSP, and APTC on her form, she doesn't get a refund and doesn't have to repay. Fine. If I enter 100 for each, I owe $1500. Ouch.

She made far less than me last year, so if we do the reverse and she puts 100 for all three, she gets a refund (yay) and if I put 0 for all three, I don't get a refund and don't have to repay. Fine.

On the other hand, if we split it evenly and she puts 50 for all three, she gets a smaller refund. If I also put 50 for all three, I owe $1500. BUT - if I leave SLCSP blank and put 50 for Premium and APTC ONLY, I get a refund! I'm so confused!

(EDIT: there are amounts in all three columns A, B, and C on my 1095-A. Does that mean I'm required to enter allocation amounts for all three or can I leave SLCSP blank?)

So my questions are: 

1. Is it okay if I leave SLCSP blank on my form to get the refund or am I required to put a number in that field (which would force me to repay)? It seems like splitting 50/50 with my SLCSP blank is the better option for both of us.

2. Is it okay to enter numbers that will only benefit us even though I neglected to change her dependent status during the ACA re-enrollment period? (I will correct that with my marketplace ASAP.) Is it not cheating?

3. Why is the result different depending on whether SLCSP is filled in or not? I noticed on the "How do I figure out these percentages" link window that pops up that SLCSP can be left blank only for certain situations. This question is less urgent as I'm only curious. 

Please help 🙏 and thank you to whoever can!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Can I enter 1095-A allocation amounts for my shared marketplace policy that will benefit each of us w/ a refund? Why is the result different when SLCSP is left blank?

Update: Ya'll, because this portion of my tax return with Turbo Tax was so opaque and confusing to a lay person like me, and the dozens of answers I read by the "experts" in these community Q&As only offered unhelpful, simplistic variations of "the IRS only requires that you enter values equaling 100%", I gave up and went to an in-person tax prep service. I was so relieved to snag an appointment with them in the final weekend, and I'm very glad it's over and done. Long story short, I was not allowed to leave SLCSP blank so I ended up putting 100 for me and 0 for my daughter and paying the $1500. But at least I got answers and help from a friendly, efficient, real person sitting in front of me, instead of stressing at home in front of my computer.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies