Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Can I e-file my fed return and mail my state return

Just to clarify, a different answer below (by Marcgsmith) actually clarifies...choose File by Mailing first, then choose e-file on Federal and mail for state. Stupid, but it works.

Yes.  In the 2018 online version, when you're ready to file, you'll have to select the "file by mail" button first (vs. the "efile" button.)  Then you'll be presented with a screen where you can select "efile" or "mail" for your Federal return, and "efile" or "mail" for your State return, before continuing.

and you must still pay the TT State fee.

but not the state e-file charge.

OP is asking from TT Online, where there is not a state efile fee

OK, but in the offline version, it still works the same way...you have to choose file by mail instead of efile, THEN choose efile for Fed, and then mail for state return (otherwise, you don't get the option.  The OP of the question didn't clarify which version.  This answer said online.  It's appropriate for both versions.  And in the offline version, you do not have to pay any state charges...if the version you have has the state tax software included (My version had one state).  

Your answer was only applicable to the online version.  Better to clarify for those of us who buy the software for offline use, I thought.
traceykva

For anyone struggling with this, it is possible (at least with the desktop version) to go back in TT and print a state return for mailing even after e-filing federal. TT knew I had already e-filed federal and I was able to print state separately.

Yes. When using the desktop version click:

1.Click File a return- Click Continue

2. Clink File by mail-Click Continue

3. State: Click print my state return to file by mail now

Federal: Click do no print my federal return to file by mail now-Click Continue

I continue to be frustrated and confused and have spend over a week trying to get an answer to this--how do I file by mail (and avoid the fee) for state after e-filing federal?  I have nothing that says "file a return"....
Cody1224

Yes you can. The directions listed are not accurate though. When you get to the selection of "file by mail" or "I want to e-file" select the "file by mail" option. The next page that populates will say "we've determined the fastest way to get your federal and state refunds" on this page can you individually change what you want to mail in and what you want to e-file. Just select the "change" option for either state or federal. Hope this is more useful than listed above as the " best answer"

I found this post helpful.  Thanks!  

For TT 2020 Deluxe Desktop Edition, when forced to e-File my PA state tax return vs. print and mail, I completed the following steps:

1.  Click the FILE Tab (at the top next to the the REVIEW tab).

2.  Click File a Return.

3.  I had previously e-Filed my federal tax return.  Regardless, I selected "File by mail" when asked "How do you want to file?". 

Capture1.PNG

4.  Click Continue.

5.  You should see the following.  Hope this helps.  Capture.PNG

I spent HOURS trying to find a “community” answer how to eFile my Federal return so a big thank you for printing out the screens in your post. My State return software (Desktop Deluxe) is giving me fits so I want to get the TT approved Fed return eFiled before the state software mucks up the works. I can literally walk five blocks down the hill and hand deliver my State return to the Montana Dept. of Revenue but this 2020 software is a mess. Thanks again!

Are there additional charges for state returns if I simply want to print and mail, not efile which is 1/4 cost of my return? 

I am also having this issue, which appears Turbotax is attempting to capitalize by not providing the option.  TT, please provide remediation or simply come out and state what appears to be obvious? 

I used the TT Deluxe CD/Download for Windows and when I finished the free State return that came with the package, it gave me the option to eFile for an extra $25 or simply print my return for free and mail it. My state return printed with a copy of the Fed return and it all goes together into an envelope to your State. Be careful to check that all FORMS are printed out, sign and date your return and include the State copies of any 1099-Rs, etc. in your envelope. (Form 8283 is missing from my itemized State return but not everyone generates that Form.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies