Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct the Appraisal Fee on an Investment Property Refinance if I didn't pay it (lender paid it)?

According to Intuit's help, I can deduct the appraisal fee for the refinance of an investment (rental) property. See https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/credits-and-deductions/help/what-can-i-deduct-when-refinancing-ren....

What isn't clear in my situation is, I didn't directly pay the fee. On my closing documentation, the appraisal fee ($675) is listed as being paid by "others" (i.e. the lender). On the one hand, there's no such thing as a free lunch, so I definitely paid the fee. On the other hand, it may have just been absorbed by the lender in one of the many fees I did pay such as the Loan Origination Fee.

Thoughts about whether I should write off the Appraisal Fee even though it is listed as something paid by "others"?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Can I deduct the Appraisal Fee on an Investment Property Refinance if I didn't pay it (lender paid it)?

If you did not pay the fee (in some form or another), then you cannot deduct it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies