Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tdvisco

Can I deduct lawyers fees paid to sue my school district for an out of district placement for my disabled son?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Leonard
Intuit Alumni

Can I deduct lawyers fees paid to sue my school district for an out of district placement for my disabled son?

No, you can not deduct lawyer fees paid to sue your school district.

The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 eliminated miscellaneous itemized deductions for tax years 2018 through 2025.

Prior to the 2017 Act, an individual taxpayer who took itemized deductions instead of a standard deduction could deduct legal fees that were greater than 2% of his or her adjusted gross income as a miscellaneous expense. After the 2017 Act, clients can no longer deduct legal fees as a miscellaneous expense even if they choose to itemize their deductions.

[Edited 03/09/2020 | 3:16 PM PDT]

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Leonard
Intuit Alumni

No, you can not deduct lawyer fees paid to sue your school district.

The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 eliminated miscellaneous itemized deductions for tax years 2018 through 2025.

Prior to the 2017 Act, an individual taxpayer who took itemized deductions instead of a standard deduction could deduct legal fees that were greater than 2% of his or her adjusted gross income as a miscellaneous expense. After the 2017 Act, clients can no longer deduct legal fees as a miscellaneous expense even if they choose to itemize their deductions.

[Edited 03/09/2020 | 3:16 PM PDT]

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies