turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct lawyer fee for my living trust on my rental property as legal expense?

I have one rental property.  Last year, we setup a living trust for our own home as well as for the rental property.  Can I deduct part of the lawyer fee for the living trust as an expense on my rental property?  The category of rental property expense is "Legal and professional".  

Thank you in advance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Can I deduct lawyer fee for my living trust on my rental property as legal expense?

The living trust is a personal expense. 

but according to this article below

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/tax-deductions-and-credits/can-i-deduct-legal-fees-on-my-taxes/...

It seems to be deductible for the living trust portion that is for rental property.

A living trust is an estate planning tool and is a personal expense. The fact that an investment is included in that plan doesn’t change that. 

I had a 30 mins session with a CPA today to go over my tax question today.  Per CPA, you can deduct the rental portion of the living trust as an expense in your rental property.  So, the answer is YES.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies