Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bear1088

Can I claim the $22000 bassoon I bought for my son to complete his Masters program and musical career?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Can I claim the $22000 bassoon I bought for my son to complete his Masters program and musical career?

No, there is no tax deduction or credit for that.

At most, a musical instrument required for a course of study might qualify for the American Opportunity Credit, but that credit is usually maxed out by baseline tuition, and is not available for Masters' students in any case.  Even if you could still claim your child as a dependent (which is unclear, but probably not), a musical instrument would not qualify for the Lifetime Learning Credit.  

If your son becomes a professional musician and reports self-employment income, he can list the instrument as a business asset and claim depreciation, using your cost as his adjusted cost basis.  (Technically, whenever he starts earning money as a professional musician, he places the asset in service and depreciates it using whichever is lower -- the cost you paid, or the fair market value at the time he places it in service.). (Note that depreciation can only be claimed if he is self-employed, not if he is a W-2 employee of an orchestra.  If he has both wage income and W-2 income, he can allocate a portion of the depreciation to his self-employment. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies