Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can i claim my girlfriend's children as dependants? (2013)

My girlfriend and I live together the entire year.  She has two children, and I provide more than half of their support.  Also, my girlfriend receives government benefits (food stamps), but does not include my income...will claiming the children as my dependents affect her benefits going forward?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

23 Replies
kimferrin

how do I claim dependents that are not my children if they qualify under the seven steps?
Hal_Al
Level 15

Enter the child at personal info / dependents. For dependent type, select "another person" then "other"
kimferrin

I did this, however, it did not change give me "extra dependents".  I have taken care of these two people for three years.

You can claim her child or children only if absolutely you all know no one else will claim them food stamps has nothing to do with your taxes completely different government agencies hra is hra and irs is irs however you will need some sort of documentation with all of you guys name dob and address on it to prove residency a school or Doctor letter are most sufficient in these cases or a lease with you as head of household
johnp222

Your girlfriend is committing welfare fraud! !

And we wonder why refunds are being held until the end of February? Why doesn't she claim your income on her welfare?... she would be cut off! FRAUD!!!!!!

If you live with someone and get food stamps you are not required to put there income down. It is not your boyfriend or girlfriends job to support kids there are not there's that is why defax does not require you to put there income down. Now if you have a kid in the house defax does require you to give your income. I should know this I do the paper work all day for needy families.

Wouldn't the boyfriend be committing tax fraud by claiming children that he didn't support, the government supported them. If he was living there AND supporting them he could claim them but he would also need to be put on the welfare case and his income reported.
johnp222

summer_lps you are INCORRECT... She doesn't have to report his income for MEDICAL ONLY!! But most certainly does for FOOD AND ANYTHING ELSE she's receiving from the assistance office! If she lived with roommates or her mother or her uncle, cousin, brother, COMPLETE STRANGER SHE MUST REPORT THEIR INCOME FOR FOOD, CASH, AND ALL THE OTHERS!!! AGAIN THIS IS FRAUD FRAUD FRAUD AND she'll go to jail when she's reported

If you are receiving SNAP (food stamps and medical) YOU DO NOT HAVE TO INCLUDE HIS INCOME AS LONG AS YOU GUYS BUY SEPERATE FOOD AND COOK SEPARATELY. It is not fraud and if any of you have been on it you would know that. Maybe different states do things differently but in the state of minnesota this is how it works as long as you buy and eat separately from WHOEVER YOU LIVE WITH your fine.
Hal_Al
Level 15

The children may qualify as  dependents, but because they are not related, her children cannot be your qualifying child for the child tax credit, earned income credit or Head of Household filing status.

A person can still be an other dependent (Qualifying relative in IRS parlance, even though they do not have to actually be related), if not a Qualifying Child, if he meets the 6 tests for claiming a dependent:

1. Closely Related OR live with you ALL year

2. His/her gross taxable income for the year must be less than $3,900 (2013)

3. You must have provided more than 1/2 his support

Whether a qualifying child or qualifying relative:

4. He must be a US citizen or resident of the US, Canada or Mexico

5. He must not file a joint return with his spouse

6. He must not be the qualifying child of another taxpayer

He must have a US social security number or tax identification number (TIN)

In addition to the above requirements, to claim your boy/girlfriend's children, they must meet all of the above requirements and:
--- your boy/girlfriend must not be required to file a return,
--- he/she does not file a return claiming the children

Whether it affects their benefits would have to be answered by the agency providing the benefits.

esane

If your GF receives food stamps and you claim her or her children as dependents, she will likely be removed from the program and forced to pay back the food $ she received. This is because she failed to include you in the household size that public assistance requires she tell them about.

What if I already told the h&w I'm staying w a friend and prepare my food separate. It's been like this for 3 years ( boyfriend in reality )  and he try's to claim my child in taxes because he supports  half of everything and I don't work  . I also get child support from my son father but it's rarely ,he's never been caught up on it . And I have all the rights to claim him in taxes ( court papers) ... How would that work out ????

if the food stamp program knows he lives in the house and you have lived together for the entire 12 months with the kids and he has provided all other support 50% or more then legally he can claim you and the kids with no legal ramifications to him for filing and claiming or you because welfare knows he lives in the house.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies