Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim my disabled sister as a dependent on taxes if she is a full time student and the only income is thru SSI that I use to support her financially?

She is disabled, she is a full time student, she receives SSI that is under my name because she is unable to support herself, the state made me responsible for her financially. Do I claim her as a dependent under my taxes or does she do her own taxes? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Patrice

Can I claim my disabled sister as a dependent on taxes if she is a full time student and the only income is thru SSI that I use to support her financially?

Yes, you can claim your sister as a dependent if she meets the following test listed below.  Also, she would NOT file her own tax return because SSI is not reported on income tax returns.  TurboTax will ask you the questions that will guide you on whether or not you can claim your sister as a dependent.

A dependent must be your “qualifying child” or “qualifying relative” and meet specific tests in order for you to claim them.

There are 5 tests that will qualify a child as a dependent as follows:

• Relationship: Must be your child, adopted child, foster-child, brother or sister, or a descendant of one of these (grand or nephew).
  • Residence: Must have the same residence for more than half the year.
  • Age: Must be under age 19 or under 24 and a full-time student for at least 5 months. They can be any age if they are totally and permanently disabled.
  • Support: Must not have provided more than half of their own support during the year.
  • Joint Support: The child cannot file a joint return for the year.

There are 4 tests that will qualify a relative as a dependent as follows:

• They are not the “qualifying child” of another taxpayer or your “qualifying child”.
  • Gross Income: Dependent earns less than $4,050 in 2016.
  • Total Support: You provide more than half of the total support for the year.
  • Member of Household or Relationship: The person (a friend, girlfriend, non blood relative) must live with you all year as a member of your household or be one of the relatives that doesn’t have to live with you.

Can my brother clame me on his taxes if I'm 25 live in a different state than him and I'm  disabled and receive SSI and ssdi for Learning Disabilities, PTSD, Deficit Disorder, Anxiety, Bipolar, ADHD, Depression, if he has helped me with sending  money monthly  for food transportation and money for med co-pays

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

Your brother may be able to claim you; a couple of key issues are exactly how much support he provided, and whether you're considered permanently and totally disabled.  

Please see the TurboTax Help article Who can I claim as my dependent? for guidance. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies